View From The Glen

Friday, September 25, 2009

Fall Reading List - Part I

I'm going to forego my usual banal tribute to Autumn to talk about something else that I'm reminded of this time of year.

(No, not how fall makes me long for a weekend in a log cabin in the woods with a fireplace and Barry Manilow music on the stereo - though it does, and I know that makes me a sad git who likes cheesy music , although when I mentioned that to someone the other week he said Barry Manilow was classic now, though he obviously still thinks I'm a sad git, but I digress).

And that something is Books.

This time of year makes me want to run off to the library, come home by way of the bookstore (easy when Chapters is just a click of the mouse away, and though I am an anti-fan of big box stores, I make an exception for online books which seduce me - I am weak, I admit it), and curl up in my big comfy armchair beside the fire, with the dog at my feet and the leaves falling in a golden shower outside the french doors, and read, read, read, read.

But being a bit indecisive at times, I never know quite what to read, so every year I make up a fall reading list, and here it is. Draft One. Bound to be amended. But it's a start.

Books I Own But Have Never Got Around to Reading
The Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein
Books 2 & 3 of The Golden Compass series by Philip Pullman
Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortensen

Books I Will (Probably) Buy
An Echo In the Bone - Diana Gabaldon (this is more of a NEED to have)
The Lost Symbol - Dan Brown
Galore by Michael Crummey
The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt
The Golden Mean by Annabel Lyon
The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne
Devil's Brood by Sharon Kaye Penman

Books I Found In The Library Last Night
The Weekend Man - Richard B Wright (October, Clara Callan)
Candide  - Voltaire
The Scream - Rohinton Mistry
The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy

Books Recommended By Friends
Katherine - Anya Seton
Sepulchre - Kate Mosse
Blink and The Outliers - both by Malcolm Gladwell

Books I Own And Am Going To Re-Read
Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Nieffenegger
Outlander books 2-6 by Diana Gabaldon
Possession by A.S. Byatt
Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kaye Penman
When Christ and his Saints Slept by Sharon Kaye Penman (need to buy)

Books I Will Order From the Library
Generation A - Douglas Coupland
The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood
Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Morran

2 comments:

Leanne Haines said...

Also looking forward to The Lost Symbol and The Year of the Flood. And I'd like to read The Children's Book and Three Cups of Tea. But I still have WAY too many books left to read on your last recommendation! Going to a bookstore with you is truly dangerous!

Denise Nielsen said...

I'll give you The Lost Symbol, but can you really say you're looking forward to Atwood's apocalyptic vision in The Year of the Flood?...if so, you're stronger than me. I still haven't decided whether to read it or not....I'm still twitching after reading The Road last year.