View From The Glen

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Literacy Day

It was Literacy Day yesterday and the kids all went to school dressed as a favourite literary character.

Sort of.


No, not King Arthur. Not Aragorn. Erik could have been either but chose instead to be Peter Pevensie from C.S. Lewis' The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. I wouldn't let him take the sword to school.


Keeping with the Narnia theme, we have Grace. Or rather, Aslan. She just wanted an excuse to wear the lion costume.

And though I tried to encourage Anna to go as a Musketeer with the great costume she made herself a couple of weeks ago, she had other things in mind.


Indiana Jones is not a book, I told her. But of course it is a book. We have a dog eared copy of Raiders of the Lost Ark in the library, and she knew it. Apparently I'm the only purist who doesn't think books written from movies are real.

This is a real book:

But then, Harrison Ford wasn't in the Narnia movies. To the detriment of the movies.

2 comments:

Leanne Haines said...

It's true -- books about movies are not really books! I would believe Erik as Peter any day, and Grace makes an adorable Aslan. What a great school activity! I think our school had a day like that a few years ago. I believe Connor went as Spider-Man. Do comic books count as books?

cbmamainnf said...

Too cute!!