View From The Glen

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Three Little Words

My friend Becky was over this afternoon with her son. We talked about books and browsed through my library; we talked about kids and watched the Grace and Brodie stand-off, each of them as stubborn as the other. (They're not getting along, said Anna the peacemaker with a solemn shake of her head.) And Becky asked me about my writing, specifically about the first draft of the novel she knows I just completed.

What's it about? she asked.

Three dreaded words.

Because I know what it's about, of course I do. But when someone asks me, I either clam up, or break into a volley of incoherant explanation.

I'm a good speaker. I've won awards for speaking and presenting. But when it comes to off-the-cuff speaking, there's no getting around this simple fact: I Suck.

My goal for April is to take every single one of my draft novels or works-in-progress and memorize a clear and succinct description that answers the question,What's it about?

The next time someone asks, I'll be ready.

3 comments:

Finola said...

I'm just like you. I can't describe things unless I have thought about how to put it into words. For example, I am a huge reader, and yet I cannot answer the question about what type of books I like. Or what type of music. Even at work if I know my subject well, I can't always convey it properly.

I thought I was the only one like this. I wonder if there is a treatment?

Capital Mom said...

It's like the evelator pitch. I remember a boss telling me that you have to me able to explain a project in one sentence in case you ever got into the elevator with the Deputy Minister.

Denise Nielsen said...

The Elevator Pitch - that's exactly it. The worst thing is I KNOW all of this - I was a toastmaster for years until our local club folded. Going to practice my pitches this weekend.