View From The Glen

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie

If there's one thing we all agree on in this family it's that fruit pie rocks. Some of us prefer apple, others peach, others fresh raspberry. But when the strawberries are ripe at the same time as the rhubarb, there's really only one kind of pie.

Erik is the pie lover of the family. Any pie. All pie. I've seen him happily polish off most of a fresh pie without even blinking. With ice cream. His favourite is Cherry, which we rarely have because he and Grampa are the only two who really like it. But actually, all of them are okay in his books. I joke that I could put cardboard in pastry and he'd eat it, an assertion he denies vehemently.

But since he likes pie so much, I thought he should learn to make it. Today was lesson one. I made the pastry, he made the filling.

It was delicious.

4 comments:

Laura said...

Yum. ooh I love strawberry/rhubarb pie. Darn it, I'm going to be thinking about that tonight.

cbmamainnf said...

mmmmm I could go for some of that right now!!

Leanne Haines said...

I think I need to attend one of your pie making classes! My kids and hubby LOVE pumpkin pie, so last year I did learn to make that one for them, and I learned to make apple for me (and my preschool class -- we made mini ones at school during "apple week", so we all learned together). Now I am really craving a strawberry rhubarb pie! Time to head down to the fruit stand and hit allrecipes.com!

Finola said...

You have pie making classes? Wow, that could be fun especially if we can make strawberry rhubarb which is my abolute favourite!