View From The Glen

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Princesses

Tomorrow is the much anticipated Royal Wedding, and I confess that while we are not getting up at 3am to watch an endless procession of people arrive at Westminster Abbey, we will get up in time to watch the highlights on the internet. I was 11 when Charles married Diana, living in England, and remember that royal wedding quite well. I remember being bored by the television coverage, excited by the street party, and secretly delighted when my dog and my uncle's dog raided the cake table devouring the elaborately decorated royal cake (etched with Charles and Di iced faces) made by our neighbour who was not amused.

I don't consider myself a royal watcher, but I'm aware of them, and I like that. I like the Queen, I like Prince Philip and his wonderful gaffes, and I like Charles who I always picture in his wellingtons and carrying a walking stick, spouting eloquently about art and the environment. I think it's thrilling to have another royal wedding, and so yes, I want to be part of this historical event, even if its just watching live coverage.

My girls do too. They want to see the Westminster Abbey where William the Conquerer was crowned in 1066. They want to see Prince William and Prince Harry. They want to see the Queen. But mostly, they want to see Princess Catherine. It's all about the princesses.

It's interesting that I am reading this book right now.

A book about princess culture and what, if anything, it is doing to our daughters. Most of the time I don't think about it. We went through that princess period in our house where everything was pink and frilly and I despaired even while taking pictures because it was so darn cute. Today, the girls are 8 and 9 and that period is gone. Today they prefer pants which are easier to run and jump and play in, they race around the fields, and hardly ever do anything that is dainty. They have green belts in karate and are learning to stand up for themselves in ways that continuously impress me.

And yet, the excitement in the air over the fairy tale wedding of Kate and William is palatable.

I think, in our hearts, we all want to be princesses.

I just haven't decided if that's a good thing or a bad one.

2 comments:

Leanne Haines said...

My girl is still in the princess stage -- She wants to wear dresses every day and she loves to pretend she's a princess. Not a big deal, I think, as long as she doesn't get her heart broken when she realizes life isn't a fairy tale. Then again, haven't we all gotten our heart broken over that once or twice? She'll survive, as we all have, and I expect she'll get up at 6 a.m. to watch Will & Kate's daughter get married someday. And she and her daughter will have princess dreams again...

Finola said...

In our house we have one girl who never embraced the princess thing, and one who is still in the middle of it all. I like to think of it as just another stage that they will grow out of - and it is so much better than the tantrum stage.
I also think Kate may end up being a good example for our daughters. She seems down to earth so far.