View From The Glen

Friday, August 12, 2011

Friday Reads: Mid Summer Summary

I have a problem.

I take the kids to the library on Tuesday's and I always end up getting books out for myself. This is in addition to all the books I ordered from my summer reading list that I wasn't yet prepared to buy. In fact, last week, I had to renew the books I had taken out because I haven't had time to read them all, but do you think that stopped me taking out a pile more?

Of course not.

So now I have the original books I decided to read this summer, plus a long list of others to get through.

I have been reading though.

I read The Art of Racing In The Rain by Garth Stein. It was one of the books I ordered from the library that was on my original summer reads list. I picked it up one morning in the kitchen to take a quick look while I made toast. Two hours later, I still stood there, finishing the book, still standing because I didn't want to take the time to go and sit down. It's crazy good, and I don't usually go for books that are a) written by dogs or b) full of heart-tugging sentiment. But this one really pulled me in.

I'm reading The Postmistress by Sarah Blake, and although it is nice and the premise is one I should like, it is not grabbing me like I had hoped it would.

I read a youth fiction two nights ago. 13 Treasures by Michelle Harrison about a girl caught in the faery world. I liked the world building and the fact that the fairies were not all cute but had malevolence written all over them, but found it a bit predictable and overblown. Probably because it is meant for a 9 year old, only we've all been spoiled with the quality of kids lit these days.

I was half way through Persuasion by Jane Austen when my Kobo gave up the ghost. Huge kudos to the kobo customer service team though who are sending me a new one with no hassles. As soon as I get it, I'll finish up with Miss Austen. Anyone seen the movie, Persuasion? Is it worth it?

Probably because of Persuasion, I picked up Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict at the library. It's by Laurie Viera Rigler, and I just started it with no expectations at all.

With the kids, I am reading Pirates! by Celia Rose and Erik's new series, The Ranger's Apprentice by John Flanagan. He loves it and knowing my book problem, I am convincing him to order them through the library rather than buying. Otherwise he will need a very, very large house. He is resistant, but it will be good for him.

Not that I can talk. I picked up a few more books at the Williamstown Fair last weekend. A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, Suite Francais (because I liked the title) by Irene Nemirovsky, and--joy of joys--Children of the New Forest by Captain Maryat, a children's classic I have never read. I saw the mini series as a child and have vague visions that come to me every once in a while. Now I can find out what they are about.

So that's it. The summary so far. Only a few short weeks to go, so we'll see just how much ground I cover between then and now.

The beauty of books is that there are always more to read.

4 comments:

L. K. Below/Lindsay Below said...

That's quite the list!

I actually find myself reading more lately. Most of the time, I try to focus on writing instead of reading, and only read on Sundays. But with the stress of moving (just over a week away!) I've found myself needing more relaxation time. And wishing for wine.

Sadly, I just read a fantastic book that ruined me. I bought the two books in the Lexi Carmichael series by Julie Moffett (No One Lives Twice and No One To Trust, both available from Carina Press). I probably connect with the character so well because she's a complete geek. Whatever it is, this is the best series I've ever read. I tried reading... 3 books so far after, none of which hold my interest. They're just not as good.

Good luck with your reading list, Denise! I promised myself not to make one... lol.

I hope you, Andrew, and the kids are well.

Leanne Haines said...

Way behind in my blog reading obviously! I'm just getting caught up on yours, and it is so funny that you write about taking your kids to the library and coming home with WAY too many books for yourself, because that is exactly what happened to me the past two weeks. I did come home with a few really good books, though.

I ordered The Art of Racing in the Rain, but it will take a few weeks for me to get it — obviously others have seen your recommendation! Read The Postmistress in June and was actually quite disappointed. It never did really pull me in, despite the fact that the subject matter held such promise. I guess I was hoping for another Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie society, but that doesn't happen very often... I've had A Thousand Splendid Suns on my bookshelf for two years and haven't read it yet. Let me know what you think. Yesterday I came home with Any Known Blood, and I just ordered The Paris Wife this morning — I may get to the top of that list within a year! Sometimes the library falls short — this is why I have a Kobo!

Still struggling to find that really great summer read. Book club demands are getting in the way: an Ian Rankin mystery that doesn't do much for me, and then To Kill a Mockingbird, which I think I'm looking forward to. Must be time to pick up Dragonfly in Amber again and see if Jamie can carry me away!

Thanks for the books post! I always love them!

Caroline Starr Rose said...

Jane Austen confession: I've only read two -- Persuasion and Emma. This growing up with a mother and grandmother who avidly read. Strange, I know. Something I must remedy soon.

Elizabeth Bass said...

Late to the party here, but I love Persuasion. And the movie with Amanda Root (from 1995, I think) is my favorite Jane Austen adaptation. Beautifully acted, and catches the spirit of the story perfectly. The BBC version they made a few years ago, on the other hand, makes my head twitch.