View From The Glen

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Leonard Cohen Day

I drove to Kingston and back today, and much as I love the Limestone City, I find the drive tedious.

Not today though, because today was Leonard Cohen Day on the CBC in honour of his newly released album, Old Ideas (which, incidentally, I am listening to right now as it's being streamed live all day). From here to just this side of Kingston, where it got unbelievable fuzzy, and again on the rather treacherous journey home, every few minutes was a clip or a song from Leonard.

This week, I've been teaching poetry to college students, and have been struggling with how to get them to just read it and enjoy it as so many of them seem to have negative attitudes toward what poetry is and what it means. I think tomorrow I am going to take some of Leonard Cohen's work in with me. For inspiration, as I try to elicit their poetic responses to the world around them.

In the meantime, here is one of my favourite of Cohen's songs/poems. I really like the stuff I heard off his new album - such as this - but I'm going to go with this classic.




2 comments:

Laura said...

Ah, so hard to pick a few. I would say "Dance me to the end of love" and "Waiting for the miracle". "Hallelujah" chokes me up every time I hear it. Great driving music, especially if you're alone in the car and can belt out the song freely. :)

Leanne Haines said...

Love "Hallelujah" — It gives me chills every time I hear it.