View From The Glen

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Cottage

I had much to do last weekend. But on Saturday morning, after fighting a losing battle with the weed eater, I had enough, packed my overnight bag, and took off for the cottage. Grace was there - staying with my in-laws for the week - and I figured if I was going to drive an hour and a half to Ottawa to pick her up, I might as well drive two and an half hours to the cottage to get her and enjoy a day by the lake at the same time.

Though I told her I came to pick her up (true enough), the honest-to-goodness real reason I went all that way was for one reason only:

To dive quickly and cleanly into the deep cool waters of the lake.

Standing on the edge of the rock, poised to dive, feeling the breeze, knowing the water awaits....that's one of my favourite things in the world. That slight fear of how cold the water might be. The knowledge that you are going in regardless. The freedom of the leap, as if diving into the unknown. It's like a metaphor: the known and the unknown, the seen and the unseen.

Love that. 

So I picked up my daughter, visited with the family, enjoyed a campfire, wrote poetry. And mostly reveled in the moment of standing between two worlds. 

Want more about the cottage? Go here for poetry or here for the water or here for generalities.

Or just enjoy the view...



No comments: